Good for you Mac N Cheese

I'm not kidding when I say I could feed my kids this little recipe for every meal & they'd never complain. They love it- & my hubby too! It's a healthy, feel good about feeding it to your kids, recipe. I typically make it with either whole wheat or quinoa elbow pasta to pump up the fiber & protein. If you follow my blog much you know that I'm really into sweet potatoes, they're my go to- so it's no surprise that this recipe calls for a puréed sweet potato. This sauce is measured for a 13-16 ounce box of dry pasta. If you're doing less (like the box of quinoa pasta pictured) use half the recipe for the sauce.

Here's what ya need:

- 1 box cooked pasta (make sure to salt your boiling water to season pasta & put a chug of olive oil to prevent pasta from sticking together. Cook to pkg directions, don't over cook. No one likes soggy pasta😜) 
- 2 Tbsp butter (I'm a realist, so I use the real thing- but if all you've got is some 'I can't believe it's not butter' you'll still be fine)
- 2 Tbsp flour (use ur fave baking flour: coconut, almond, or the good ole fashion kind. Just don't use whole wheat - it doesn't dissolve & tastes like dirt granules are in your cheese sauce- ewe)
- 2 cups milk (I've used unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened coconut milk, or cows milk- take your pick friends) 
- salt, pepper, & a pinch of ground nutmeg 
- 8 oz your choice of cheese (get creative with your cheese choices- use a combo- heck I've even been in a pinch & used velveeta. My one tip is don't use cheap, fake cheddar- it's so greasy & nasty! I got the hubby to pick some up from the dollar store once for a last minute cheese sauce & it was super yuck. The up side- my lips were so soft from all the grease 🙊 A good quality cheddar is fine tho.) 
- 1 cooked, peeled, & puréed sweet potato (cook in oven or microwave, let cool & throw in blender or food processor)


Here's how ya do it: 
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour & stir. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring continually.
- Add milk & stir until combined. Keep stirring & let sauce thicken, should take a few minutes. 
- Add salt & pepper to taste & a tiny pinch of nutmeg.
- Add cheese & stir to blend.
- Add in sweet potato & stir. 

- pour sauce over cooked, drained pasta & combine. 
- Lick the spoon & sample the Mac n cheese 3 seperate times because mom really needs to taste test it before it's suitable to serve to the fam. Yummy to the tummy! 👍




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOPE

OMYGOSH IT'S SPRING!

The Last 3 Miles