Missing Piece

As I play in the yard with my boys, listen to the giggles of them & their neighborhood buddies, watch my neighbors buzz about on their bikes or out for a run I realize it- I'm living the American Dream. We aren't rich or celebrities but we are lacking nothing monetarily.  Mostly because we serve a great God, attend a church we love, My husband & I are successful in our careers, our kids are healthy & bright, they attend a great school, the town we live in is fun & full of opportunity- but there's a missing piece. I know that sounds crazy- but for me- there's a lack in my life. What is that you ask? My extended family. 
I'm a family girl! Born & raised in the same town with the majority of my relatives. My family was there for every single one of my life events. I spent the night at one of my grandparents houses every weekend. Most of my childhood memories involve family members. That is what I miss- I miss the every day interaction. Dropping in to see Nana & Grandy for a cup of tea & some chat over the local paper. Going down to my mom's salon & working along side her - chatting with all the people I know & love. I miss knowing people so well...truly knowing them & knowing they truly know & love me in return. I miss my sister- laughing until my side hurts. I miss the smell of the pure country air- I even miss the smell of the paper mill from the neighboring community- my dad always said it smelled like money to him. I miss going to pump gas & hugging the necks of familiar faces & getting caught up in conversation while I wait to check out at Wal-Mart. 
Now I talk to strangers at Walmart-Mart-  treat the guy at the gas station like he's my best friend. I have some great friends here- I love them. I've made some not so true friends here- I've been burned- I've been heartbroken- I've been supported- I've been encouraged- I've had people by my side- I've felt alone. 
Some would question why I would ever miss a small town? Why miss the gossip & the boredom of small town living? Probably because to me- it's not boring. As a mother of 2 boys, my life looks relatively the same in a semi-small town (we're not talking so small that the boys will miss out on opportunities- just small enough to be "small town"). My children go to school- I work- we come home & do homework, prep dinner, if we have sports practice or music lessons we do that, shower, bed. On a week night we never utilize the jump houses or play gyms or fancy restaurants in this busy town- we just don't have time. We do the same thing that my friends back in a small town do- only I don't do it alongside my sister- I can't go to my nieces events- my family doesn't get to watch my boys ballgames. 
I'm not minimizing my life- it's truly fabulous! I'm just saying that I'd move back "home" in a heartbeat. The things that truly matter in life are different to us all. But one thing that rings true for each of us is that life is short- it's fast- & once it's gone you can't go back. I'm trying to live my life for today- tomorrow is never promised. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOPE

OMYGOSH IT'S SPRING!

Who Wears Short Shorts