Sneaky Broccoli Cheese Soup

This is a definite go to at my house. It's so quick & easy & packed with nutrients for the wee ones. Getting them to eat their veggies & drink their milk has never been so easy! I first saw the Pioneer Woman make her broccoli cheese soup on her tv show & decided I'd tweek it a little to fit my healthy eating style! 


Ingredients:
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 carrots, peeled & grated
- 2 Tbsp butter 
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 6 cups  2% milk
- 1 sweet potato, cooked, peeled & mashed until completely smooth
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
- dash of garlic powder 
- 1 lb frozen broccoli
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
- in a large pot sautée onions & carrots in butter. When onions are translucent add flour & cook for a minute or so- stirring continuously.

- slowly add the milk to the veggies, stirring continuously. 
- add seasonings & cook on medium until it thickens up. (It's milk, u gotta stay close & stir)

- add sweet potato & stir in until it's mixed in completely.

- add broccoli & let it cook until broccoli is tender. 

- add ur cheese & tada! Your soup is finished! UNLESS you're like my kids & you enjoy your soup smooth, in that case take half or all of your prepared soup & blend for a few pulses- I do half & half to please us all. 

I usually make some sort of crouton or garlic bread to go with it or do a soup &sandwich  combo.  I sometimes add chunks of ham or crumble bacon to finish it off- but it's so good alone that I lick the spoon so much that I'm not even hungry by the time we all sit down to eat. 

Side notes: 
- cook ur sweet potato ahead & keep in fridge, we eat sweet potatoes so much that I just bake them at the beginning of the week & use them as needed. If you follow my blog you'll soon learn that I will sneak a sweet potato into anything- it's a super food folks! 
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOPE

OMYGOSH IT'S SPRING!

The Last 3 Miles