Sweet Potato Soup

One thing I love is cooking. My husband and I both are blessed with fantastic cooks in our family. However, I haven't always been the best cook! When we first starting dating he says I fed him burned gravy (I don't remember it being THAT terrible) but he says it was horrid! Over our 12+ years together I've gotten a lot better. I've watched my mom and mother in law cook, I've asked tons of questions, I've read lots of recipes, and of course watched lots of shows on the food network! ;) I'm a big fan of healthy, semi clean eating. I'm a vegetarian myself but add in some meats most nights for my family of 4. Tonight's meal choice was potato soup. Mostly because sweet potatoes were on sale a week ago for .56 cents a piece & I stocked up, but also because I'm a huge fan of potato soup. I scoured a few recipes in books of mine and online and none of them sounded too fetching so I decided to make up a recipe of my own. What I came up with is super delicious & definitely worth sharing! 

Ingredients: 
2 russet potatoes peeled & diced
2 sweet potatoes
1/2 onion 
2 Tbsp butter or olive oil
2 Tbsp flour
2 cups milk (I used 2% because that what was in the fridge) 
2 cups coconut milk 
Plenty of salt to balance the sweetness
Pepper to taste (of course fresh cracked black pepper is the best but any other variety of table pepper will do) 
Dash of celery salt 
Teeny tiny pinch of nutmeg (I'm talking itty bitty) 
Tbsp parsley 

Directions: 
Wrap sweet potatoes in foil & bake @350 for one hour to an hour and a half Until cooked thru and tender. You can also cook in microwave or boil- they just need to be cooked desperately from white potatoes due to the fact that sweet potatoes need a longer cooking time than white. 
In a large pot cover white potatoes with water & boil until tender. Drain & set potatoes aside. (I clean out that same pot to use for the rest of the steps)
In a large pot (same one as above, cleaned) sautée onion on medium heat in oil or butter. Cook until translucent.
Add to the onions the flour, let cook on low to medium for about 1 min.
Add to pot both milks and all the seasonings. Let cook on low to medium for about 3-5 mins until it thickens a little.
In a food processor or blender add cooked, peeled sweet potatoes and half the white potatoes and about a cup of the milk mixture. Blend until smooth. Add back into pot along with the other half of the white potatoes. Combine and add parsley. Cook for another 10 mins or so or until completely warm. Eat it with croutons or a diced grilled cheese- yummmmm!

You could also add corn or chopped fresh spinach, cheese, green onions, or bacon to garnish! Tonight we topped ours with garlic grilled cheese croutons and a sprinkle of Parmesan. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOPE

OMYGOSH IT'S SPRING!

The Last 3 Miles