Do Small Things With Great Love

I am a volunteer by nature- an 'I love you so I'm going to make you happy' kind of gal. I have a heart for helping others, giving back, making people smile...it's just in me. Somewhere along the way I started believing that me helping others meant coordinating a large volunteer effort, or donating $100 at a time, or getting in a routine or rotation of some sort that would be an ongoing effort. A weekly ritual of sorts that I would be fulfilling God's will one huge, everybody can see it, wrapped in a pretty red bow, act of ministry. But as a mom of 2 busy boys & a wife of a traveling hubster, what I thought ministry looked like has changed a bit with time. 
A month or two ago I was shopping at a store, casually thumbing through the prints in the home decor section & spotted a beautiful picture with these words written across it: "DO SMALL THINGS WITH GREAT LOVE." There in the middle of a large discount store I had an "aha" moment. 
Every time I drive through the window @ Chick Fil A, as I'm leaving & thank them they say "my pleasure". So as I go on my merry way I am left with a huge smile, a warm, fuzzy feeling, & the words "my pleasure" ringing in my ears. Who would've thought that those 2 simple words can change your mood so much but by golly if they don't! I love it- I say thank you & they say those two sweet words with a smile & a sincerity that just leave me feeling all warm & gooey inside. It's THAT simple my friends! 
Sometimes in this crazy race we call life it's the small things that make the biggest impact. The tiny little nuggets of our hearts that we share with one another. A whole-hearted simple act of love. Sometimes ministry is packing up your life as you know it and moving to a foreign country to spread the love of Christ, & sometimes, it's showing compassion to the mom you pass every morning in the line at school. Sometimes, it's the ear that you lend to a hurting soul, sometimes, it's the simple words "you're beautiful" that you spoke to the teen girl with low self esteem. Sometimes, it's only those things that God is asking of us in this season. Whatever phase of life that you're in, whatever mission that God has called you to, whatever season...know that God can use you even in the small things! Ministry in this season of my life doesn't look like what it did in my teens or twenties. It just doesn't. So I vow to enjoy those small things, those things that may seem insignificant, because if you do even the smallest of tasks with the greatest of love, then you've done a whole, whole lot! 
Acts 1:8
"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOPE

OMYGOSH IT'S SPRING!

The Last 3 Miles